Bikini season is upon us! After a crazy cold winter, who else is READY for sunshine and warmer temps?! One service many women and men start considering as spring approaches is body waxing. However, it is a service that can give many people pause as they think about the potential pain and vulnerability that comes along with it. We want to provide you with some information that can set your mind at ease and make you feel more comfortable to come in. Here it is from Crown's pro aesthetician, Hannah Simpson (@hannahsimpsonmua).
- Make sure the hair is no longer than a quarter of an inch, like a long grain of rice. Stop shaving for approx 4 weeks.. I know that seems like a long time! This is for your comfort, and to make sure we can remove all the hair with ease. A simple trimmer with guard attachments will do the trick, available at Walgreens or on Amazon HERE.
- If you are receiving a bikini wax, wear loose fitting clothing and try not to do anything afterwards to allow for the area to recover post wax. You don’t know how your body is going to react, so running around, sweating and chaffing could wreak havoc on your newly bare (and abused) skin. Go home, take off your pants, grab an ice pack, and chill.
- If you are prone to ingrown hairs you will want to exfoliate the area to help aid in the healing process.
- Bruising, lifted skin, and ingrown hairs are possible, but there are remedies for aftercare. Ask your waxer for more information. We use the highest quality wax and do everything we can to avoid skin trauma.
- Wait, I still have stubble after my waxing appointment? Let me explain the 3 stages of hair growth: Anagen, Catagen and Telogen.
- In the Anagen stage, the hair is beginning to grow.
- The Catagen stage is the intermediate stage of growth.
- The Telogen stage is the shedding stage.
- These stages are always going on, but not on the same cycle unless you are a regular, seasoned waxing client. This means you always have hairs that are shedding, growing (and are too short for the wax to grab), and the intermediate hairs. The Catagen and Telogen hairs will definitely be removed with your 1st waxing appt. The Anagen hairs just beginning to grow will be too short and not pulled up by wax. With consistent waxing, the various stages should get on the same cycle for smooth skin.
To Ease Your Mind:
- Feel vulnerable or exposed? Don’t worry, it’s our profession and we do not take it lightly!
- Scared of the pain? Pop some Advil 30 min prior to your service to help with inflammation and pain.
- We always apply calming solutions after every wax service.
- Most waxes contain polymers, which we feel is an unnecessary danger for your skin. This is why we offer polymer free wax for all our body waxing services!
- The more consistent you are, the less it hurts. Even your 2nd wax will be less painful.
- Start waxing early. If you have a trip or something coming up, do not wait until that week for your first body wax appointment. Get one now to prep the area and ensure you don’t have an adverse reaction. Getting 2-3 waxes in on a regular routine before summer starts will be best.
- Hair will grow back thinner, finer, and sometimes not at all with every wax!!!
- We recommend waxing between 4-6 weeks to reduce and even eliminate regrowth. Stay consistent!
About Our Wax:
There are a ton of wax options and at Crown we carry the best! Soft wax is typically a higher temperature wax used with strips to remove hair. It also has a stickier consistency making larger areas of hair easier and faster to remove. Hard wax is low temperature and hardens on its own, eliminating the need for strips. Hard wax will only adhere to hair, making sensitive areas much less painful during removal.
- Se Brazil Coco is a low-temperature creamy Brazilian-style hard wax perfect for face and full body waxing especially sensitive areas. This wax will adhere to even the shortest hair without leaving a sticky residue on the skin.
- Ingredients: Oleorosin (gum rosin), Cera Alba, Cocoa Extracts & Natural Ingredients.
- Diva is an all-natural gel-based hard wax known as the "dryer". Diva can be mixed with Coco to speed up the drying time.
- Ingredients: Oleoresin, Cera Alba, Honey extracts & natural ingredients
- Seven is a beautiful soft wax is a low-temperature wax great for brazilian/bikini waxing and full-body waxing.
- Ingredients: colophonium, vegetable oil, microcrystalline wax, mica, titanium dioxide, parfum, D&C Violet #2
- During a bikini service, all three waxes are used to ensure a quick, less painful removal procedure. In most cases, a Brazilian can be done in under 20 minutes with this amazing combination of plastic free wax!
- For larger surface areas we typically use the Seven soft wax for efficiency.
NEVER WAX WHEN:
- You currently take Accutane or have stopped taking it for less than a year.
- You’re taking any prescription acne medication.
- You have Lupus or Aids, or an outbreak of Herpes.
- Reduce chances of a Herpes outbreak by taking your medication 3 days prior.
- You’re in cancer therapy getting chemotherapy or radiation.
- You have been in direct sunlight for a long period of time.
- You have used a tanning bed within the last 24 hours.
- Areas you’re using any alpha hydroxy acids over 8%.
- Over or around body piercings.
- NEVER EVER WAX IRRITATED, INFLAMED, CUT, OR SUNBURNED SKIN.
- NEVER use a hot tub within 3 days post waxing.